- Director For Justice And Advocacy Ministries
Job Title: Director for Justice and Advocacy Ministries
Reports to: President and CEO
Hours: Full time (Negotiable)
Starting Date: June 5, 2023
The Director for Justice and Advocacy Ministries has primary responsibility for coordinating DHM’s engagement around a variety of justice issues; promoting and supporting advocacy efforts by congregations, regions, and ministry partners; and providing informational and educational content as appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the President and other DHM program staff to advance the overall ministry priority of acting and speaking in ways that promote greater justice, equity, and mercy in society.
- Coordinate DHM’s work in the key areas of Refugee and Immigration Ministries; Climate Change and Environmental Justice; and Racial Justice.
- Serve as the DHM justice and advocacy liaison to ministries, workgroups, centers, and other organizations across the wider church and externally, when directed by the President and CEO.
- Maintain vital relationships with congregations, regions, and general ministries that are engaged in justice and advocacy work.
- Serve as the DHM point of contact for external organizations seeking information on DHM’s involvement with and participation in advocacy around various social justice issues.
- When appropriate, help draft policy analyses, reports, and other written documents, and lead education presentations, workshops, trainings, and events.
- Disseminate e-newsletters and action alerts, as well as manage DHM’s social media content related to justice and advocacy ministries.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, and skilled at managing multiple priorities easily.
- A passion for justice and advocacy.
- Self-starter and the ability to work unsupervised.
- Strong computer and internet skills; proficiency with MS Office, Teams, and other workplace productivity software.
- A passion for hospitality.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn new things.
- Flexibility and effective time management, while maintaining superior work quality.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master level degree strongly preferred.
- Applicants with degrees in the areas of theology, public policy, political science, etc. will be strongly considered.
- Significant experience and knowledge of current best practices in the field of justice and advocacy work.
- Success in building strong connections and relationships with diverse communities, and a keen awareness of the intersectionality of justice issues and patterns of oppression is crucial.
- Supervision of ministry associates, and other support staff as directed.
- This position is deployed with the ability to work from home. If desired, a dedicated office space could be provided in either Indianapolis, IN, or Washington DC.
- The physical demands require occasional lifting of up to 40 lbs.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- A moderate amount of travel is required for this position.
The Division of Homeland Ministries (DHM), dba Disciples Home Missions, is an Equal Employment Opportunity Organization and every effort will be exercised to ensure that employment consideration is given to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, age, or handicap. Every effort will be made to employ the most qualified individuals without regard to the above factors.
To apply for this position please submit a letter of interest and an up-to-date resume to email@example.com with DHM SEARCH—DIRJAM in the subject line.
DEADLINE: Thursday, April 20, 2023.