“A conscientious objector is one who is opposed to serving in the armed forces and/or bearing arms on the grounds of moral or religious principles.” https://www.sss.gov/consobj
Additional Information regarding available resources for military personnel
If you are a member of the military service, have signed recruiting papers or are a member of the military reserve, you have many rights that the military personnel who advise you may not be aware of. Please contact the two organizations below to receive legal counseling and professional advice about your rights as a member of the military service.
Some thoughts to help you describe your beliefs
- Be clear about what these beliefs call you to do and how they inspire you to act out your values in specific ways – give examples.
- If there are things that your belief system could never allow you to do (such as kill, give money to those who would kill or injure or participate in organizations whose primary purpose is to kill or injure, for example) you should clearly state that in your essay.
- If applicable, include your understanding of how these beliefs intersect with your faith and understanding of the teachings of Jesus and the role of God. Scriptural references (while not necessary) are useful.
- It is important that this essay be in your own words – do not use long quotes or have others help you actually author your essay.
Some thoughts to help you describe how your beliefs were developed
- This is a personal essay, not an academic paper – writing about who has influenced you and how is critical, but it is not the intent of the essay to extensively explain THEIR teachings – the purpose is to inform the reader how such people have influenced YOUR beliefs.
- If applicable, mention clergy, teachers, family members and how they have influenced you.
- Specific events and encounters and how they influenced you makes for a stronger essay.
- It is appropriate to bring up books, movies and television shows that have influenced you (both fiction and non fiction).
- It is important that this essay be in your own words – do not use long quotes, or have others help you actually author your essay.