Learn More Advocacy Background & Resources Engagement Dreamers/The Dream Act/DACA Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
Help Stop Children from Being Separated from Their Families at the Border!
LEARN AND PRAY ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING
- Read these reflections here from Rev. Terri Hord Owens on the Biblical emphasis on love in Romans 13, and be sure to sign on if interested to join Terri Hord Owens and other Disciples in expressing our support for children and families being separated, and to urge an end to this family separation police ASAP.
- Listen to Hearts of Moms Separated from their Children in this video clip.
- See a Timeline of Rollbacks of Protections of Children in Recent Months.
- Consider Some Impacts of New Zero Tolerance Policies on Children and Parents.
- Read a “Frequently Asked Questions” backgrounder from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops on the current situation of family separation and the reported situation of lost children here. Also, our faith partners in ELCA Advocacy put together a blog trying to explaining recent policies that separate children and families.
- See these Resources with Stories about Fathers and Mothers who are immigrants, Showing the Challenges They Face, and Courage They Demonstrate.
- Watch and share this video from We Belong Together.
- Read here the letter that thousands of medical experts, mental health professionals, and researchers sent to Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen and Attorney General Jess Sessions, calling for an end to forced family separation.
- Learn here how the Flores Agreement relates to family detention and family separation throughout U.S. Immigration history, and is not a loophole!
- Hear the voices of medical professionals in opposition to family separation at the border.
HEAR HOW DISCIPLES & FAITH PARTNERS ARE RESPONDING
SEE RELATED LEGISLATION SO FAR INTRODUCED
- Feinstein, with 31 co-sponsors, introduces bill to end family separation
- Ryan and the White House have introduced a “compromise” immigration bill, although it will NOT end family separation. As long as Trump Admin keeps choosing to prosecute 100% of parents, their kids will still be taken away from them. NO provision in the bill ending family separation.
ACT TO HELP END FAMILY SEPARATION
Your faith voice is needed to help stop family separation! Continue to return here for additional opportunities for action, as they develop, for faith communities to support children and parents in detention.
- Join Terri Hord Owens and other Disciples in expressing our support for children and families being separated, and to urge an end to this family separation policy ASAP.
- Go to this googledoc to find information about actions around the U.S. to help End Family Separations!
- Sign as Women of Faith, Clergy and Lay Persons: Click here to call upon DHS Secretary Nielsen to stop separating children from their parents at the border.
- Sign as ALL Community Members: Click here to sign this petition to ask the administration, through the DHS (Department of Homeland Security), ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) to keep families together.
- Call Members of Congress: Dial 1-866-940-2439 to connect to your 2 Senators and 1 Representative to let your legislators know you value the ability for families to stay together. Ask them to work for solutions that help the root causes of violence that are causing parents and children to need to escape, especially from Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. Share Ask them to request the administration to stop separating families, and share scriptures that influence your values. Find your officials here.
- Plan an Action with local clergy and layleaders at your U.S. Senators’ and Representative’s area offices! See this article for inspiration: Clergy Hit the Hill to Support Children Being Separated from their Parents. Consider delivering bears, with your message about the importance for parents to be able to comfort and protect their children.
- Raise your concerns on Social Media: Use images like the ones on this page and click here for sample social media posts. Make your own posts, and be sure to tweet to RIM at @StanleyRea, and to like and send to our Facebook at: Refugee and Immigration Ministries Disciples Home Missions
These images can be downloaded and use as posters.