Learn More Advocacy Background & Resources Engagement
Dreamers/The Dream Act/DACA
As we prepare soon to gather around tables again and again during the holiday season, Disciples Refugee & Immigration Ministries invites your congregation and members to consider inviting dreamers to be a part of your celebrations! From now through mid-December, please participate in “Dreamers Welcome at the Table” by using the pictures, stories, Bible Studies, and advocacy materials below to listen to and support dreamers. And, contact Sharon at: 202-957-7826 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like assistance to contact potential dreamers in your area! See our resources here: www.discipleshomemissions.org/missions-advocacy/refugee-immigration-ministries/immigrants.
Please begin to use the image at the right as a picture with the blurb above for “Advertising” this effort:
- Dreamers Voices Welcome at the Table – stories and pictures of dreamers, to be printed for sharing, or shown as a PowerPoint.
- Dreamers Welcome Toolkit – to help in planning your event and lifting up your voices of support for dreamers.
- Praying with Dreamers Updated Actions – ideas for action in support of dreamers in your area.
- Dreamers Stories and Quotes – a handout of all the quotes of dreamers included in the “Dreamer Voices Welcome at the Table” resource.
- Table Disciples Bible Study – a two-part Bible Study of the importance of the table for Disciples and in scripture.
- DREAM Sabbath toolkit – Word – participate with Disciples, Church World Service, and other interfaith partners in the Interfaith Immigration Coalition in a “DREAM Sabbath” during any Sunday in October and lift up the contributions, stories, and challenges being faced by immigrant. Please share the materials widely, and please put your “DREAM Sabbath” support events on this map! For more resources, please visit.
- Press Conference with General Minister and President Terri Hord Owens’ statement in support of the Dream Act.
- Disciples Among Christian Leaders Arrested for Peaceful Capitol Hill Protest in Support of Dream Act – Several religious leaders and activists were arrested for engaging in an unlawful demonstration inside a United States Senate office building. They demanded a “clean” passage of a legislation that would protect hundreds of thousands of undocumented “dreamers” from deportation. Story and Video
- View the Disciples Refugee & Immigration Ministries’ letter in support of dreamers and passage of a clean Dream Act on the Interfaith Immigration Coalition website, as well as the letters of support from more than 40 other national faith organizations.
- Click on the red links below to print signs for your Dream and TPS support events, or right click on each image to “save as” to make your image the size you wish:
My Faith Supports Dream Act &TPS
Faith Partners for Dream Act & TPS
Disciples for Dream Act & TPS
- On a campus? Consider holding a prayer vigil in support of Dreamers. Go here for a sample service created by RIM Seminary Intern (currently at Vanderbilt Divinity School), Daniel Lyvers.
- Read a letter from RIM, with Quotes from Rev. Terri Hord Owens, Regarding The Dream Act
- Thoughts on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) in the U.S. from from General Minister and President Terri Hord Owens: On Tuesday, Sept. 5, the U.S. administration announced an end to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that has protected children brought to the United States without documents. Also see Terri’s response included here, together with messages from multifaith leaders following yesterday’s announcement of DACA’s ending.
- Also hear from Rev. Sharon Stanley-Rea in an interview with Sojourners on decision about DACA.
- Learn more about DACA & TPS by viewing this webinar on PowerPoint and Audio.