The Executive Committee of the United Christian Missionary Society (UCMS) established the Negro Student Scholarship Fund in June 1939 with funds raised for Central Christian Institute in Kentucky. The funds constituted a special scholarship fund for a period of six years from June 1939. The income is to aid worthy African-American young men or women desiring to participate in Christian service and obtain a college education. Other monies were added to this fund, such as:
On December 9, 2009, the Joint Scholarship Committee of Disciples Home Missions changed the name of the Negro Student Scholarship Fund to the African-American Scholarship Fund. This was done to reflect the language of the early 21st century in the United States of America.