Application form deadline: March 15
Reference and transcript deadline: April 15
No exceptions to deadlines.
Scholarships are made possible by gifts from individuals, families, congregations, and other expressions of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada. Scholarship funds are generated from interest earned on permanent funds and cash gifts, and are used as investments in persons preparing for ministry in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada.
By completing an application, you will be considered for each scholarship for which you qualify. Please submit only ONE application. The scholarship committee determines for which scholarship each applicant qualifies. The maximum award for any recipient is only one scholarship award per academic year.
It is each applicant’s responsibility to make sure all required documentation is received in DHM’s scholarship office before the deadline, including application, references, transcripts, and under care confirmation.
Financial Support Brochure – Click here to download a PDF copy of the Brochure.
Scholarship Application – Click here to access the online application form.
Reference Form – Click here to access the online reference form.
To be eligible for any of the scholarships listed below the applicant must:
- be a member of a congregation in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada;
- be preparing for ministry in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada;
- know that GPA may be a determining factor in consideration of scholarships awarded;
- provide evidence of financial need;
- be enrolled as a student in an ATS accredited seminary or school, (9+ hours for full disbursement, 6-8 hours for 2/3rd disbursement, 3-5 hours for 1/3rd disbursement, below 3 hours ineligible) audited classes for no credit do not apply toward required hours;
- be enrolled in an M.Div., or equivalent degree program;
- provide official, sealed transcript(s) of academic work to be received by our office directly from the registrar’s office. If you have completed less than one year of graduate seminary, please submit transcripts for all under-graduate attendance and degree fulfillment. If you have completed at least one year of graduate seminary, you only need to submit the transcripts for your cumulative seminary experience. Second career seminary students should consult with DHM scholarship office regarding how to proceed;
- provide three references; one from each of the following persons: a regional minister from one of the 33 regions of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada from the region with which you are under care, the pastor of your home CC (DOC) congregation or from the CC (DOC) congregation wherein you are a member, and a professor (seminary or undergraduate). First year students entering may substitute the regional minister with a reference from a recognized executive minister of racial ethnic ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada. No referent can be a relative. Call if you have questions;
- be under care of a regional Commission on the Ministry, or in the process of coming under care (if regional reference is coming from ethnic constituency executive, you will be required to contact your regional minister and request that they verify your under care status. It will be your responsibility to ensure a regional minister fulfills this request.);
(Exceptions to some of the above qualifications may be made within the Michael Scholarship, Star-Supporter and African American Scholarship fund programs. Contact our office for details.)
For your information: Applicants must apply or reapply each year to receive scholarships. There are no automatic renewals.
- African American Scholarship Fund;
- David Tamotsu Kagiwada Memorial Scholarship
(for Pacific/Asian-American ministerial students);
- Disciple Chaplains’ Scholarship
(for first-year seminarians);
- Edwin G. & Lauretta M. Michael Scholarship
(for wives of Disciples clergy with Standing);
- James M. Philputt Memorial Scholarship/Loan
(for seminary/graduate ministerial students enrolled in either: (University of Chicago Divinity School, Union Theological Seminary, Vanderbilt Divinity School or Yale Divinity School);
- Katherine J. Schutze Memorial Scholarship
(for women seminary students);
- Lloyd and Iva Mattison Youth Ministry Scholarship
(for seminary students focusing on Youth Ministry);
- Michelle Jackson Scholarship;
- Nebraska Legacy Fund
(first consideration to Nebraska-connected students);
- Rowley/Wolfe Ministerial Education Scholarship
(for seminary students);
- Soongook Choi Memorial Scholarship
(for Pacific/Asian-American ministerial students);
- Star Supporter Scholarship/Loan
(for African-American ministerial students).
Applications received after the March 15 deadline will be declared ineligible.
Again, it is each applicant’s responsibility to ensure ALL required materials are received by Disciples Home Missions, Office of Scholarships, Attention Kelly Harris, by the stated deadlines. Thus, applicants may want to check with Kelly Harris with sufficient time before the deadline to make sure their materials have been received, if they have any questions. It is not the responsibility of the Office of Scholarships to notify applicants regarding any required outstanding/missing application materials.